Sunday 8 November 2009

Urban pepper (and sausage) kind-of-risotto



Have a look at this pepper. I am rather proud to announce that it was plucked from our balcony in Whitechapel about an hour ago and it was, naturally, all the more delicious for being grown inches from our kitchen. I know it's a bit late in the year for peppers but we seem to be harbouring some late-growing fruit and vegetables with our peppers, tomatoes and lemons still ripening nicely. We're very novice veg-growers and we chanced our luck planting them a little later than we should have done. But thankfully our little balcony is very sheltered so we're still benefitting from our amateur horticultural endeavours!

Anyway, as I was at work all day today I wasn't really up for any massive culinary adventures tonight. So, we had a spicy chorizo lurking in the fridge and I dug out some arborio rice so I made a slightly peculiar (and slightly Spanish I suppose...) risotto with my Urban Pepper in the starring role!

Pepper and chorizo almost-risotto 

Enough arborio rice for two
A spicy sausage/chorizo
A red onion
2 cloves of garlic
Green pepper (ideally locally sourced...)
A tin of tomatoes
A little shaved pecorino
A little olive oil
Finely chop the onion, garlic and green pepper and fry gently in a saucepan with a little olive oil. When soft but not coloured, chop or crumble in the sausage and fry for a couple of minutes until the oil starts to seep out of the sausage. Then add the rice to the saucepan and stir to coat the grains with the spicy oil. Add a tin of tomatoes and then fill the empty tin with boiling water and add this to the saucepan little by little. This isn't a proper creamy risotto so I was quite relaxed about just sloshing the liquid in two halves and stirring well  - although I didn't bother to stir continuously like I would with a "proper" risotto. When the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is soft, serve the spicy rice in bowls with a generous handful of pecorino shavings.

No comments: