Tuesday 1 December 2009

Not just rib eye steak. This is a frugal £5 M&S rib eye steak...



This is just a very quick post to tell you about something I did with some marked-down rib-eye steak that I found in Marks and Spencer. Yes, I know I shouldn't really buy food in M&S if I am being truly frugal but I passed one on the way home, it was raining, we had nothing in the fridge...blah, blah, blah.

Anyhoo, the fact remains, Marks and Spencer were selling two rib eye steaks for £5 which I think is ridiculously good value.

Steak with spicy noodles 
A couple of steaks
Some dried egg noodles
A big knob of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
Some fish sauce
A dessert spoon of peanut butter
A handful of fresh chopped coriander
Any leftover vegetables - spring onions, radishes, carrots, mange tout, green beans, peppers, shredded cabbage are all good

Heat your griddle pan until smoking. Griddle the steak for a few minutes on both sides - until it is as "done" as you like it - and then put it aside to rest while you make the noodles. I soaked dried noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes and then grated a big chunk of ginger, mashed a couple of cloves of garlic and fried both on a low heat for a few minutes in a frying pan along with a good glug of fish sauce, a desert spoon of peanut butter and the juice and zest of two limes. Then I added some leftover chopped vegetables to the frying pan - carrots, green beans and spring onions - and stir fried them quickly, adding finely chopped coriander and the cooked noodles when they're ready. Have a little taste and add more lime juice or fish sauce if it needs it. Slice the steak into strips and pile onto the noodles and finish with a little more fresh coriander.

Well, maybe Dervla Kirwen wouldn't come over all breathy about it, but I thought it was very tasty, pretty healthy and super-speedy supper.

No comments: