Tuesday 5 January 2010

Hate mushrooms? Try my Mushroom Risotto!


I am aware of fact that I seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time devising ways to get my boyfriend to eat food that he hates. Cauliflower soup, warm broccoli salads, cabbage etc. So you'll be relieved to hear that tonight I made his favourite supper - a lovely warming mushroom risotto.

It's worth mentioning at this stage that my boyfriend hates mushrooms.

You see! It makes no sense.

Who hates mushrooms but loves mushroom risotto?

And for that reason, I will continue my endeavours with unpopular foodstuffs - because you never know when I might stumble across his new favourite food...


Mushroom Risotto 
- Pack of mushrooms
- Handful of dried mushrooms
- One white onion
- Couple of cloves of garlic
- A good stock cube - I found some excellent mushroom stock cubes in Carluccios
- Enough arborio rice for two people
- Knob butter
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A couple of big handfuls freshly grated parmesan

Finely chop the onion and garlic and fry lightly in a little butter and oil. Soak your dried mushrooms in boiling water with a stock cube and leave until soft and tender. Slice your fresh mushrooms up and throw into the saucepan with the onions and garlic. Add the fresh thyme leaves and fry everything for another 5 minutes. Add the dried mushrooms and the rice, stirring well to ensure the rice is well coated in the buttery juice.

Then start adding the mushroom soaking liquor/stock mixture one ladle at a time. Stir gently but fairly constantly adding ladle--fuls of liquid when the previous one has been absorbed. You know how the rice should be - but I just keep trying a little until it reaches the right texture - soft but still retaining a tiny bit of bite. When you're happy the rice is done, turn the heat off, add a handful of parmesan, stir and then generous knob of butter and stir well to create a nice glossy finish. I serve with extra parmesan for sprinkling.

Evidently this is worth trying even if you hate mushrooms.

No comments: